"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Saturday, May 8, 2010

OK, I promise this is my last post about Door County. It's just such a special place for our family that I wanted to share it with you. Here's what I love most about it.

First, it's quiet and peaceful. If you've been there, you might be saying, "What are you talking about? That's not been my experience." And it's true, in the summertime, people come in droves from all over. The beaches are crowded and all the stores are full and people are bustling about. You can enjoy everything from fish boils to live theater. It's alive. Experiencing Door County like that is fun and exciting, but my favorite way to experience "The Door" is in the off-season. I love it in the fall when the shorelines are washed in autumn's colors. The crowds have returned to the cities and store owners are preparing to close up shop for winter.
And I love it more in the spring before the crowds arrive, when shop owners are busy preparing their stores and restaurants are getting their places ready for their season openings.
It makes finding an open shop or a place to eat all the more special, and you find that people are more willing to have a chat. Speaking with those who make Door County their home all year is a treasure. You find out a lot about the area that way.
Traveling from village to village is so much easier because your car is one of the only ones on the road. Exploring all the county has to offer in the off-season is relaxing, enjoyable, and peaceful.

Second, I love "The Door" because it's simple and charming. It's like stepping back in time. I love the little vintage touches everywhere. They remind me that life doesn't have to be complicated.






Third, I love "The Door" because it is a place that inspires the imagination. It is full of artists and their art. Everywhere you look there is a gallery...
or an artisitc expression. There is nothing that inspires creativity more than standing on the bluffs overlooking the beautiful bay...
or relaxing on the peaceful sand beaches along Lake Michigan...
or driving through the beautiful countryside...
It makes me want to be an artist, too.
All in all, Door County is a great place to lose yourself or to find yourself, if that's what you need.



1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed your pictures of Door County. I, too, would enjoy visiting in the autumn when visitors are not so abundant. What a colorful place it is. My children would have loved the rocks, too. :)

    ReplyDelete