"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Remembering

Today, my baby celebrated his 12th birthday.

Please indulge this mommy for a moment.


I'll only be a minute. I promise.




Okay, I'm back!

Where has the time gone?


I remember that round face,

those chubby fingers,

that silky black hair,

and, oh, those lips...

I remember it all like it was yesterday.

It occurred to me today that I have finally held him and loved him for longer than I ached for him. After eleven years of infertility, God brought us one of the greatest gifts of our lives. I remember every detail of that first day with him.



I remember the anticipation.

I remember getting a glimpse of him before they whisked him off to customs.

I remember how it felt to hold him in my arms.

I remember how he smelled.

I remember how he felt.

I remember how tired he was from his flight.

I remember how loud he cried when daddy couldn't figure out the carseat

I remember it all.

As for the eleven years of waiting, I remember that there were bad days and lots of tears, but the moment they put him in my arms, my heart was full.

Twelve years -

of loving,

of laughing,

of being mommy to an incredible boy!

You were my first.

You made me a mom.

I love you, Siah!

Happy Birthday!

1 comment: