"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Monday, February 8, 2010

Chasity's Story

I have a young friend. She is 18 years old, and she is raising her two children by herself. She lives at least 15 hours away from her family. Until last summer, she had no home of her own, and when she did finally get her own apartment, she had to catch the bus everyday to take her children to daycare, to get herself to school and to go to the grocery store. She did this in sunshine, in rain, in snow and in the freezing cold. (And to think, I was just whining about my hard life yesterday! I am humbled!) She is an amazing young woman - brave, determined, strong. She is an example of how grace transforms a life. She and I both have two-year-olds, but I am almost three decades older than her. It is a strange relationship. I could be her children's grandmother. I find myself wanting to mother her, protect her, teach her. Mostly, I am just glad she is my friend.

This morning, Ken's sermon was about loving one another in Christ. She shared her story as a part of his message. You can hear it here. Just click on Caring For One Another on 02/07/10. Her story is near the end of the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment