"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Thursday, January 7, 2010

Simple Trust in a Powerful God

Last night my husband drove my oldest son and two boys from the hood to our youth group. On the way home, he asked them what they learned. Here's how the conversation went:

Friend 1:
"We learned that God can dig a hole and throw you in a bunch of hot lava."
(Of course, I am paraphrasing since I was not in the car and heard the story second hand. Pretty sure his comment was something pretty close to the hot lava thing!)

My son:
"Dad, we learned that we aren't supposed to be afraid of God but that we need to fear Him and that if He wanted to, He could dig a hole and throw us in with hot lava because we all deserve it."

Friend 2:
"I don't believe that anyway (that God is capable of doing that)."

My son and Friend 1:
(Bewildered by their friend's response)
"You don't?!"

Friend 2:
"Well, He can't stop a meteor."

My son and Friend 1:
(said incredulously, at the same time)
"Yeah, He can. He can do anything He wants!"

I love that sweet simple trust,
and the boldness it takes to stand up to your friend who has it all wrong.

It's one thing to doubt when you're young and still trying to figure things out, but I know many adults who say they believe in God and yet, their actions prove that they are really more like this young man. They doubt that God can do and be what they need Him to do and be. They have an inaccurate and an inadequate view of God. They choose to serve and worship their wimpy version of God and so their service and worship, quite frankly, is wimpy as well.

The truth of the matter is this:
The very same God who made that meteor
can in fact stop it
IF HE SO CHOOSES.

This same God only had to speak the words, and the world was formed from nothing. He can make rivers flow on barren heights and turn the desert into pools of water (Isaiah 41).
The same mountains that He formed with power melt like wax before Him (Psalm 97), and the seas He filled with water calm at the sound of voice (Mark 4:39).
He is a powerful God - no, He is All-powerful!
He can do everything He says He will do,
and it's in Him we find the power to live this life.

I hope when I come across someone's path that has an inadequate view of God that I will introduce them to the All-powerful, Almighty God of the Bible.
If my son can do it, so can I!

Here is your God!
See, the Sovereign LORD comes with power,
and his arm rules for him...
Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand,
or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens?
Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket,
or weighed the mountains on the scales and the hills in a balance?
Who has understood the mind of the LORD,
or instructed him as his counselor?
Whom did the LORD consult to enlighten him,
and who taught him the right way?
Who was it that taught him knowledge
or showed him the path of understanding...
"To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One.
Lift your eyes and look to the heavens:
Who created all these?
He who brings out the starry host one by one,
and calls them each by name.
Because of his great power and mighty strength,
not one of them is missing...
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
(Isaiah 40:9-31)

I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like me.
I make known the end from the beginning,
from ancient times, what is still to come.
I say: My purpose will stand,
and I will do all that I please.
From the east I summon a bird of prey;
from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose.
What I have said, that will I bring about;
what I have planned, that will I do.
(Isaiah 46:10-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment