"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Monday, January 11, 2010

Prayer Challenges

We had a great weekend. One of our church's goals over the last three years has been to develop a culture of prayer - where prayer preceeds everything we do, pervades everything we do and follows everything we do. Our church brought in a guest speaker to finish off our annual prayer week. Maybe you've heard of him. His name is Phil Miglioratti. Phil is a facilitator for the National Pastors’ Prayer Network and writes for PRAY magazine (among other things). He was a delightful man, an engaging speaker and I found myself really challenged in several areas. He spoke Friday night, Saturday morning and at both services on Sunday, and here's my take away:
First, he challenged the leaders of the church to be Prayer Champions. Near the end of his talk, he led us in a payer time during which he "led" us into a deeper and richer time of prayer than I believe we would have experienced on our own. Now, I have the gift of leadership. I have sensed it, others have confirmed it and God has blessed it. I have no problem leading a study, a meeting, a rehearsal, or even a huge event. But for some reason, it never dawned on me that God could use that gift of leadership during prayer. It makes sense. I've always been frustrated during prayer times when they just seem to turn into a grocery list of needs and wants. I recognize the value in praying for people's needs, but I have often felt like we were missing so much that God could do through our prayer times. It was like a light came on. How will people know how to go deeper unless someone teaches them and leads them? His challenge to us and my first take away was wherever you have influence and people under your care, LEAD them - be a Prayer Champion.
Second, on Sunday morning Phil spoke from John 17 where Jesus prays for Himself. (vs. 1) "Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you." (vs. 4) I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. "
Phil started by saying that it's okay to pray for yourself. He challenged us to do it the same way Jesus did. Whatever we pray for needs to be so that we will accomplish what He has called us to do in order that He may be glorified. It certainly is a deterrent to praying selfish prayers, isn't it?
His last challenge that I came away with was simply to begin any prayer by asking the Holy Spirit to show you how to pray for this request. I have always struggled when people ask for prayer for a friend who is sick or dying or for themselves because they are lonely or depressed. How do you actually pray for those things. I mean there's the usual prayers, "God heal this person," or "Lord, take away their pain." But how may times have I felt those were just tapes being played in my mind? I mean, is that really how God wants me to pray? Are those the prayers He works through? Do those prayers even get to the Father's heart? To me, simple as it may sound, my take away was just this - ask the Spirit to show me how to pray. After all, I want my prayers to be effective!
I believe that God accomplishes His plans at times through the prayers of His people. I want my prayers to be used that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment