"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Lion Protects Her Cubs

Yesterday, one of my sons got in the car after school ready to take someone's head off (for once, it wasn't mine)! Apparently, some older boys have been harrassing him since the beginning of the school year. As he told me about it, his anger turned to tears, and my concern turned to anger. I was ready to march in that school and give somebody a piece of my mind. I mean, who's being mean to my baby, and why isn't anybody looking out for him? It's a good thing I had other children who had to be picked up.

He was very vague, but hearing him refer to the kinds of things they were saying to him made me sick to my stomach. I've tried hard to teach my son what is appropriate and what is kind. And I've tried hard to protect him from the vile stuff the world has to offer, and yet, there it is, walking down the halls of his school. Where are these boys' mothers and where are their manners?

Anyway, we were on the way home from youth group tonight, and after we dropped his friend off, I asked him what he learned. He said he learned that God is a refuge. When I got home, I looked "refuge" up in the dictionary.

refuge (ref' yooj) noun 1 shelter or protection from trouble or danger. 2 a safe or protected place to stay

I am so grateful that he is learning at such an early age that God can be his refuge. My prayer for him, and all my boys, is that they will always turn to God as their safe place. Hey, I am a pretty good mother lion and I have a pretty good roar when it comes to my children's safety, but there is no place safer than the shadow of HIS wings.

"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing. The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing." (Psalm 34:8-10)


"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust. Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." (Psalm 91:1-4)

No comments:

Post a Comment