"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Potting Sheds. Popcorn and Peace of Mind

Last week, my neighbor brought over a bucket full of gourds and Indian corn. She had grown them both in her garden and knew I would have fun decorating with them. When I went to return her bucket later that day, I found her near her potting shed. We chatted about garlic (which we had both grown this year) and she stepped inside the shed to show me how to keep garlic. I followed her in and my heart did a little pitter-patter. Now, it's not a huge shed, and it's not elaborately decorated or anything. It was simple, clean, organized and full of all the things I love: flowers hanging upside down, watering cans, little tin lanterns to hang in the trees, etc... (Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, I think I even remember a small ladder to an upper little loft area.) Everything had its place, and all her little touches were so pretty. (Maybe I can convince her to let me take pictures.)

Later that night, I told my hubby that if I had one of those cute little places, I would just go hang out in it. (Do you really have to garden to justify having a potting shed?) If I really did have one of those places right now, I'm sure it wouldn't look like hers. Mine would be full of balls, sticks (for weapons of course), and mud - lots of mud. And my tools would not be neatly organized. How do I know that? Because I find them all over the place. Recently, I found two of my tools down in the garden hidden under the overgrowth (nicer way to say weeds) where someone had decided to dig. Just last week, I ran over one of my favorite pewter garden forks and broke two of the tines. Someone had decided it was just what they needed to dig in the sandpit next to our driveway. I digress. I was speaking of her kindness in sharing her bounty, wasn't I? I did thoroughly enjoy using the gourds and corn to decorate my window boxes.


Earlier this fall, this same sweet neighbor brought over the most beautiful plate of cut-out cookies I have ever been given. (She often brings cookies when a new season or holiday comes around.) She has elevated cookie decorating to an artform. My children and I oohed and aahed as we ate the fall leaves, acorns and pumpkins because not only were they beautiful, they were delicious! I was smart enough to put a small bowl in the freezer so I could sneak one out whenever the urge hit. (That didn't last long.)

I love my neighbor. She and her husband have treated us as they would their own children. They are always doing the sweetest things for us. This past year, she watched my little one for me a couple of times when I needed someone to help. Several years ago, she brought my children stuffed animals after returning from a trip. For the last several years during the Christmas season, she has brought us the most beautiful gingerbread house with four huge personalized gingerbread men for the boys. Not long after we moved into this neighborhood, her husband gave us one of those rechargeable battery chargers for the car battery. (Dennis, I had to use it twice this last month. We suspected our battery was dying. Thanks to you, I didn't get stranded. I finally bought a new battery!) A week ago, my hubby had to go out of town overnight. During the evening as I was getting supper ready for the boys, Dennis showed up with a bag of buttered popcorn from our local popcorn stand. (He knows I love popcorn!) He said, "Any mom home with four boys by herself needs popcorn." He was so right. It's great to know my neighbors look out for me and my family. That's how it should be.

Dennis and Diane, if you are reading this, you'll never know what a gift you are to us. Diane, when you brought the cookies over, Josiah said (and I paraphrase), "Mom, she's Grandmothering us!" In the absence of local Grandparents, those were beautiful words to my ears (and to my son's heart)!

Lord, if you're reading this (just kidding - I know You know), help me be more like Diane. Not because she has a beautiful little shed or fabulous gardens or makes the best cookies, but because she has your heart, and I want to have it, too.