"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Drive in the Country

Last week, I had lunch with a friend at her house in the country. Her house is beautiful and so welcoming. She had it all decorated for fall. I had decided not to do much decorating for fall this year, but when I left her house I was in the mood for a drive in the country. As I was driving, I passed bunches of little pumpkin stands. Some were at Orchards (pumpkins $5) and some were at people's farms. My favorite was this one.

I actually had to turn the car around to see if I had read the sign correctly. I love driving in the country. You never know what you are going to find. I had a five dollar bill so I picked the five biggest pumpkins (I'm not crazy!) I put my money in the little coffee can that was sitting behind the pumpkins and drove off feeling totally happy. Then as I continued my drive, I passed another little farm with a cute wagon out front full of pumpkins, gourds, etc...In front of the wagon was a basket that said everything 25 cents. It was full of large odd shaped gourds, some strange looking squashes and cute little round pumpkins. Of course, I dug through the change drawer in my car and came up with six quarters. Hey, a bargain is a bargain.

When I got home, I combined my little "gifts" with the gourds and Indian corn my neighbor had given me and the flat pumpkins I had previously purchased to fill my urns, and now this is what it looks like at my house.