"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Friday, October 23, 2009

You Are Autumn


I walked into my kitchen today and it was glowing. There was a golden glow spilling in through my window. The big maple tree outside my window seemed to surrender to the inevitable overnight. Yesterday it was green. Today it is bright yellow. It reminded me of the beautiful words to Nichole Nordeman's song "Every Season". Enjoy! (To listen to the song, scroll down the page to my playlist and click on #16.)



every evening sky an invitation to trace the patterned stars

and early in July, a celebration for freedom that is ours

and I notice You in children's games, in those who watch them from the shade

every drop of sun is full of fun and wonder

You are Summer



and even when the trees have just surrendered to the harvest time

forfeiting their leaves in late September and sending us inside

still I notice you when change begins, and I am braced for colder winds

I will offer thanks for what has been and what's to come

You are Autumn



and everything in time and under heaven finally falls asleep

wrapped in blankets white, all creation shivers underneath

and still I notice you when branches crack, and in my breath on frosted glass

even now in death You open doors for life to enter

You are Winter



and everything that's new has bravely surfaced, teaching us to breathe

what was frozen through is newly purposed, turning all things green

so it is with You and how You make me new with every season's change

and so it will be as You are re-creating me

Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring

(Witten by Nichole Nordeman)

No comments:

Post a Comment