"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Saturday, October 17, 2009

Moments of Perfection

Here's a little project I've been working on. I have wanted to have pictures in my bedroom of the first time I held each of my children. So when I found this frame at Home Goods on the clearance rack, I new it would be perfect. It has four openings, and I have four children. How perfect is that?





I knew the shiny dark wood finish would not really fit my bedroom so it took me a while to come up with a plan. It's still not totally done, but it's coming along great. Here's what I did.


I sprayed it with some ivory spray paint (no I didn't prime or sand it first). It turned cold out the day I did it and so the paint bubbled up. I was afraid I had totally ruined it. I took some sand paper to the bubbled area and it gave me the exact look I was going for. How's that? I accidentally create what I wanted! I did some more distressing so that it now actually resembles something that sat out in a barn for years. I wanted to include some of the beautiful buttons I found a while back, so I scattered them along the edges and hot glued them in place. I also wanted to somehow convey the significance of the photos and was thinking about painting the words "First Moments" at the top. While I was rummaging through some of my supplies, I found the phrase "Moments of Perfection" which is exactly what I felt at each moment I held each one of my children for the first time. I remember saying when they put Josiah in my arms, "This feels really good." And after delivering Bennett, I remember thinking, "You did this God and he's perfect."

Anyway, these pictures are intimate moments with my children. I probably wouldn't put them on my coffee table or on the wall in my kitchen, but my bedroom wall is perfect. I treasure each memory and now I can look at each photo any time I want. Here's what the frame looks like now.









No comments:

Post a Comment