"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Monday, September 28, 2009

Meandering

Last week was a crazy week (as are many weeks in our home). So on Saturday afternoon, my hubby said, "Why don't you take off and go have some mommy time." (Have I mentioned I have the best man in the world!) For two hours, I wandered thru an antique mall. I savored the blessed quietness, and I delighted in the carefreeness of it all. Some people can't stand antiques, but there's something about the faded patinas, worn edges and gently (or sometimes harshly) used quality of these pieces that speak to me. Maybe it's because they remind me that life used to be simple, that people worked hard for what they had and they took care of their things.
I came home with two tiny treasures: a small jar of Mother-of-pearl buttons and three wooden spools. I have ideas for both of these. I'll show you when I'm done.

Handful of bottons - $4

Wooden Spools - $1.50

Meandering - Priceless!