"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Sunday, September 27, 2009

Birth Blocks

Sometimes, the need to create something with my hands is all consuming. I can't explain it. I'm not an artist or anything, and I'm not especially creative. (I steal all my ideas.) Still, somehow even the smallest project gives me great satisfaction. Maybe it's because it takes me out of the ordinary routine of the day and takes me to another place. (Is that escapism?) Anyway, I've been working on a little present for a niece for months now, and I finally finished it. The baby will be two-years-old before I ever get it to her at the rate I'm going. The block includes a photo, birth facts, and a fitting quote. I sanded & painted the block. Then I used 6 coordinating papers and distressed the edges. Here's the final product.



And here's one I did for my son's room.