"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Sunday, September 13, 2009

Painful Moments and Potato Soup

There are people who have such horrible experiences with food as a child that they never recover. They spend the rest of their lives avoiding those foods because of the smells or tastes or experiences they associate with them. We've probably all done it, written off that perfectly good vegetable or dish, vowing never to let it pass our lips again.

I have two such memories with food that could have shattered my love for fine cuisine. The first traumatic experience was my mom's spaghetti. I remember having to sit at the table until I finished my plate. As someone who didn't care for spaghetti, I agonized over every bite while trying to actually swallow it. For me, spaghetti was torture. The second bad experience happened one day when I came into the kitchen and noticed my mom was eating something that looked like steak. Having an extreme love for a good slab of beef, I asked if I could have a bite. To my horror, what I put in my mouth was liver. Let's just say I've never forgiven my mother for that moment.

Over the years, I have overcome my distaste for spaghetti and have grown to love many wonderful Italian dishes. And despite my mother's incredible cooking, I have never graced these lips with anything resembling liver, EVER! (No one should have to get past that!)

I have a friend who grew up hating Potato Soup. She says she had it so often growing up that she just can't stomach the thought of it. I keep saying, "You just haven't tried my Potato Soup." Well, recently, my husband commented that while my Potato Soup is very tasty, it just doesn't look all that good. So I took it as a challenge to find a better recipe. (I have no problem admitting that I don't create them; I just steal them!)

This week when I had to do a luncheon for some people who work with my husband, I found the perfect recipe for a Loaded Baked Potato Soup to start the meal. The picture on the website looked colorful and so tasty. I tried it out on the fam the night before and it was a hit with my hubby - yummy and beautiful as well. (The kids prefer mommy's old recipe. Bless their little hearts and their undeveloped potato repertoire.)

My dear friend Jeni, this one is for you:



Loaded Baked Potato Soup
12 oz Applewood smoked bacon
4 stalks celery finely diced
2 large carrots, peeled, finely diced
1 jalapeno, seeded, membrane removed and finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
½ Cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup thinly sliced ham or Canadian bacon (or mini cubed ham)
32 oz chicken broth (or water & bouillon)
6 oz half and half (I used whole milk)
10 med/lg. potatoes, baked, peeled and mashed
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ Cup milk
4 oz sour cream
1 ½ Cups shredded cheddar cheese


Garnish
½ Cup sour cream
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 Cup thinly sliced green onion (green part)


1. Heat large dutch oven over medium heat. Cut bacon into pieces and cook until browned and crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Discard bacon grease, reserving 2 Tablespoons to sauté veggis. Saute celery, carrots, jalapeno, onion and bell pepper in bacon grease for 10 minutes, stirring often until softened. Stir in garlic and ham; cook for 3 more minutes. Stir in chicken broth and half and half.
2. Place mashed potatoes in a stand or electric mixer. Mix on medium speed adding salt, pepper and milk. Stir mashed potatoes into soup until combined. Heat for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in sour cream and cheese until smooth. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on low until ready to serve. Top with sour cream, bacon, cheese and green onion.


The recipe came from www.sisterscafe.blogspot.com. Check them out for other tasty recipes.