"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Too Much Testosterone


The other day, I walked into my bathroom and found this in my tub. I just started to laugh. I am surrounded by boys! There will never be sweet girly things in my bathtub unless I put them there. My dear friends, if you have daughters, this is for you!

Why My House Will Never Look Like Yours
  1. While you are playing dolls and teaching your girls to be loving and nurturing, I'll be explaining why superheroes have to learn to share, too.

  2. In your washing machine, you'll find things like barbie shoes, melted lip gloss, earrings and barretts. I'll find things like marbles, Hot Wheel cars, melted bubble gum, and things that used to be alive.

  3. While you are teaching your girls how to put on makeup, I'll be trying to figure out how to remove mud, blood, and grass stains.

  4. While you are teaching your girls that ladies need to always wear the appropriate under garments, I'll be teaching my boys that underwear really should only be worn once.

  5. You'll be able to offer a loving shoulder when a favorite Barbie breaks an arm, and you'll probably create your own little hospital complete with bandages and pretend medicine to make everyone feel better. I'll be rushing someone to the hospital because someone dared someone to do something to someone and something got broken.

  6. You'll hear yourself saying things like: "Keep your dress down." "Act like a lady." and "What time is he bringing you home?" I'll be saying things like "Keep your hands to yourself." "Stop looking at him." "Those noises aren't funny." and "Who left the lid up?"

  7. As our kids grow, somewhere down the line, you'll probably hear words like slim down, diet, low-fat, or less calories. I'll probably hear words like bulk up, sale, two-for-the-price-of-one, stock up now, and I'm still hungry.

  8. Your life will be filled with mermaids, music, mascara, manicures, museums, menstral cycles, moodiness and maturity. Mine will be filled with marbles, magic, mud, millipeedes, motorcycles, monsters, muscles, mowing, martial arts, mischief, and migraines (mine!).