"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Thursday, April 8, 2010

~ Eight Years Ago

Part 1


We had already waited what seemed like a lifetime. It felt like the day would never arrive. When it did, we waited at gate B like they told us.

The doors opened and people from all over the world came out. And we waited and waited and waited some more. Nobody came. What if you hadn't been on the plane? We decided to take matters into our own hands, to go look for you. And then I spotted you, down the terminal, in her arms. You were strapped to her chest, and she was holding you tight.

I knew immediately which one she was holding. I had stared at those faces for months, memorized those eyes and those lips. We approached her, but she could not speak our language.

We didn't need words.

I showed her your picture. She smiled, unstrapped you from the carrier and placed you in my arms.

Ellis



I melted.

It was that divine moment when two hearts are joined forever - the mommy and the child: an I'm-going-to-love-you-forever moment.

I lifted you in the air and you flashed that sweet smile - the same one I see every moment of everyday.

You were finally home.

Ellis




Part 2

We were worried.

There should have been two babies. Where were you? Had they not put you on the plane? We tried to ask her where you were. We pointed to your picture. She pointed toward door A and Daddy went looking.

After what seemed like forever, she came walking toward us. Your host. Your protector. She was wearing you in a pack and she looked a bit flustered.

They had come through the wrong door at customs, and she had gone to find someone who could speak her language.

They had another plane to catch. It was a flurry of commotion. I handed your brother to your Dad. (There was no way he was getting you first!) She unlatched the carrier and placed you in my arms. We led her to her travelling companion, handed them flowers to say thank you for transporting these two precious treasures, and they were off.

I knelt down so I could look at you. There you were in the flesh. You looked at me with those questioning eyes (the same way you do so often now), and I promised you forever. I touched your skin and kissed your sweet face and I inhaled completeness.

You were worth the wait.

Aidan


Eight years ago today, we became a family. God intended it, planned it before you were even formed, before the foundations of the world.

How amazing are His plans . How humbled and grateful are we.

Happy Family Day, Ellis and Aidan.

We love you.

Forever!


"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

~ Psalm 139:13-17 ~

2 comments:

  1. Such a blessing to read your lovely story. So glad you shared it. Rejoicing with you at His goodness and mercy and provision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart was gripped with tender joy as I read your family's story. Can anyone but a mom who see her children of her heart for the first time know what joy overflows. What a moment of panic it must have been when there was one missing though even for only moments. Somehow it was no less intense but different from seeing my beautiful birth children. Thank you for sharing.
    Linda @ bushel and a pickle blog

    ReplyDelete