"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Selfless Gift for a Selfish Woman

My wonderful husband gave me a beautiful gift for my birthday - peace and quiet. Well, sorta!

He surprised me with an opportunity to go Christmas shopping and an overnight in a hotel of my choice in the town of my choice. I can't think of anything better than getting away by yourself for some much needed rest, relaxation and retail therapy. (Except maybe having a night away with my man.) Ahhh - 48 hours to myself!

I must admit. At first, I wasn't sure what to do or how to act. I mean, I kept looking in the rearview mirror just to see if he really sent the baby with me. And the quiet -- I'm not actually used to having clear thoughts. Usually, I can't maintain a rational thought for more than about three seconds (which is why I walk into rooms and wonder why I'm there). It didn't take me long to realize that I could play the radio louder than little ears can handle, and I could play any song I wanted! I could run into 15 stores in one hour if I wanted to. Why would I want to? Because at home, I'm only able to run about one, maybe two, errands at a time before the little one melts down.

Surprisingly, I didn't play the radio loud, and I didn't hit 15 stores in an hour. I decided on the drive down that I would just take my time and enjoy every moment. The one thing that always frustrates me is that I always feel like I am on a deadline, like I'm always rushing back for someone or something. Rushing was not a part of my 48 hours.

I stopped at any store I wanted along the way. I meandered and drank it all in. I ordered dinner at Outback and took it back to my hotel (my sister's idea - Lori, the shish kabob - fabulous - thanks!). I slept in a wonderful bed, walked around a clean floor (Bennett usually has dumped every toy, my recipe box and the bookshelf by about 9 a.m.), went to the bathroom without interruption (or an audience), and only had to worry about feeding me. I watched chick flicks and worked on orders until late at night, and I slept in the next mornin'. And then I spent all day finishing up most of my Christmas shopping and spending my birthday money. I even went in some shops just for creative inspiration. It was an incredible 48 hours.

After reading the last paragraph, it all sounds so selfish. Could that be why it was so good? It was all about me. I spend my life trying to curb the selfish desires of my heart, to put others first. It's amazing how I didn't have to dig really deep to find that ability to be selfish. It's just a good reminder to me that it's always there, just below the surface, ready to rear its ugly head.
That's the way it is. It's usually his selfless acts that reveal to me my tendency toward selfishness. I know he made huge sacrifices so that I could be gone, and I know I probably don't deserve his incredible generosity. I am grateful for his gift and humbled by his selflessness!

Here are just a few of the wonderful things I enjoyed for my birthday:

A night at the Courtyard



A new pair of boots thanks to mom (just in time for our first snow)

A new scarf to go with the gorgeous mittens my friend, Char, gave me.
(She makes her mittens from old wool sweaters, and I love my pair)

And last but not least, my sanity. (Thank you, honey!)

No comments:

Post a Comment