"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Sunday, December 20, 2009

Memories of Christmas as a little girl:

I remember receiving a huge candy cane from church every year. I think it lasted until the next Christmas (it was huge)!

I can only remember one white Christmas, but I'm sure there had to be others. That particular Christmas, we got a really cool snow toy (a big tube), and when we took it outside to enjoy rolling around in the snow, it cracked from the cold.

One of my most vivid memories is walking into the living room on Christmas morning to a room full of toys and gifts left unwrapped so we could dive right in. (Mom, was that because you ran out of time [which I can certainly understand now] or was it a conscious decision to leave them unwrapped? I'm thinking it could be a great time saver.) I'm pretty sure that was the Christmas all my dreams came true because under my Christmas tree sat a turntable and a set of Donny Osmond albums. I was in heaven!

I remember all the years of rehearsing Christmas plays and musicals to be performed before the church. If I could thank all those people who helped make that happen, I would. I am so grateful for the part they played in making me who I am today.

One of the highlights every year was spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with cousins. Every Christmas Eve, we would go to Nashville to be with my mom's family. After eating like crazy and spending wonderful time with our cousins and aunts and uncles, we would climb in the back of the old station wagon, all four of us stretched out under the glass roof, and we would search for Santa in the sky. If I remember correctly, the search usually ended in four sleeping kids. I don't ever recall walking into the house after one of those trips. Then the next day, we would open presents as a family and then spend the rest of the day with Dad's side of the family. Every Christmas should involve cousins. My cousins are part of some of my best memories. I'm sad we've all grown up and live so far apart.

I remember one special Christmas, a rather warm Christmas, spent with those Texan cousins. I remember late night whispers, spilled pickles and lots of giggles. You had to be there. Uncle Dean and Aunt Dixie woke up to the strong smell of pickle juice and woke us all by singing, "I'm Dreaming of a Green Pickle." We still all giggle when someone sings it!

Mom somehow managed to have great Christmas breakfasts. I remember the neighbors and the Hendersons coming over to eat mom's incredible biscuits and gravy, country ham, etc... And a favorite of our family - getting to eat baklava for breakfast! (How did you manage that with four children? You amaze me - always have!)

I remember competitive games of spoons at Granddaddy's house followed by turkey induced comas and long massage lines.

I remember Christmas carolling in Nashville with all the cousins. What fun we had and still have getting to sing together. It's just not often enough anymore.

I can't remember a Christmas when the Roysters (neighbors) didn't come over to say "Merry Christmas" and see all the presents. How special that is to me now as an adult to remember that consistency in my life. And now there will be one less this year as we said goodbye to Mr. Royster last winter. And while my family will not be there this year to celebrate with Granny and Papa, I know that on Christmas morning, Agnes, Jane, Ron and Anita and kids will probably walk over to say hi. And I will think of them so far away and be grateful for all the Christmas mornings that came before and for their unending friendship. I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment