"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Family Christmas

Christmas is a time for families. It's a time to laugh, remember, and celebrate our connection. Last night was my family's Christmas in Tennessee, and I wasn't there. Many times during the holidays, I feel this little void inside, and this year was no exception. I found myself missing my family terribly. When I get down about it, I have to remind myself that, a long time ago, I told God I would go wherever He wanted me to go. I also told my husband on our wedding day that I would follow him anywhere. So at God's prompting, I followed Him and him north and left my family in the south. During the Christmas season, it's easy to question God's wisdom. I find myself asking, "But did you have to move me so far away from all my family?" Ultimately, I know His plans are best, and so I willingly make the sacrifice in my mind as many times as I need to. I believe He has rewarded that obedience. He has blessed our lives with so many people who treat us as family. That is the beauty of the Body of Christ. In Him, we can gather to laugh, remember, and celebrate our connection through His Son. This Christmas, though I wasn't with family, it felt like I was. We had a great Christmas!

Here are some of the highlights for our family this Christmas and some of the special friends who shared them with us.

Ellis and Aidan's Christmas Program: Christmas at the OK Coral


Enjoying Christmas treats sent by our Granny

Christmas Eve at Ron and Laura's house



Christmas Night at Rob and Nichole's house

(check out her tub)
Thank you, Father, for family - for moms and dads and brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and cousins and grandparents - and for how they love us unconditionally. Thank You, too, for the people you have placed in our lives where we are and for how they fill the "family" void this time of year. I am so very humbled that You have adopted us into Your family and that because we are Your children, we never have to be alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment