"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Saturday, November 13, 2010

~ A Taste Explosion

Last night, some friends took us to one of their favorite places for dinner. It was about an hour from our home.

We had an incredible evening!

The restaurant was called Wild Truffle. It is a Wood-Fired Pizzeria/Trattoria/Wine Bar. I knew I would love it as soon as I heard the name. To be honest, as long as the name wasn't McDonald's, they had me at hello.

You can see their menu here, but I thought I'd share what we ate because we don't normally eat like this. I usually find a pace I like, find a dish I like, and because I know I don't get to go out often, play it safe and go somewhere that has delivered before.

Last night, I stretched my culinary wings.

Here's what I ordered, but we all tried some of everyone else's dishes. It's just more fun that way!

Stuffed "Hot Dates"
Dates stuffed with sweet Italian sausage in a spicy piquillo pepper-tomato sauce

Wood-Fired Tomato and Wisconsin Goat Cheese Fondue
served with wood-fired crostini chips

Pan-Roasted Chicken Scaloppine Bellagio
with smoked Prosciutto, apple & arugula salad, butternut squash-maple puree, balsamic glaze

and for dessert

Warm Autumn Apple Tart
with maple cinnamon ice cream and a cider caramel



(Ken had one of their wood-fired pizzas. It had carmelized onions, peas, bacon and two eggs sunny side up on top. He moaned with every bite!)


Here are the drippings of grace for me:

Having a reason to dress up

A night away from the kids

An evening of adult conversation with friends

The gift of this incredible dining experience (Thanks, Brian & Linda)

The small spoonful of the Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee I borrowed from Linda's dessert
(heaven in a dish - which I will be ordering next time!)

Sitting in the backseat with my man

A babysitter who does dishes (Thanks, Kahli)

Children who race to the door to greet you like you've been gone for weeks

pictures from here

I don't know why God graces us with little moments like these.

Maybe it's to remind me that there is life outside of McDonalds.

Maybe it's to remind me that life is better when you let people in.

Maybe it's to remind me that He is a Father who loves to give good gifts to His children.

If that last one is it, He made His point very clear last night. (Thank You, Father)

If you live in the area and you've never been to the Wild Truffle, stop by for dinner sometime. You will not be disappointed. The owner, Mark, will treat you like royalty and tempt your tastebuds with his incredible descriptions of their Handcrafted Desserts. When he asked where the world would be without egg yolks, we loved him immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment