"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Wednesday, March 10, 2010

~ Longings

Remember this young man?




Four months ago, he was longing for his first snowfall of the winter.

Today, he begged me to pull the bike down from the garage. He's been dying for spring to come so he could ride it, and now that the snow has mostly melted off the drive, he and his brother are all smiles. (Can you really call it spring when they're still wearing hats, gloves and snowboots and there is still snow on half the ground?)


In a few weeks, we're headed south to visit grandparents. He's making plans to take his new metal detector he got for Christmas, and I know he's been dreaming about ants. (I hope Tennessee has ants in March.) Tonight he said, "Mom, I wish you would tell me that we're leaving tomorrow."


Then, as he realized the futility of his thinking, he said, "I just wish we were leaving this Friday."

All I could say was, "Me, too, honey!"

He ended by saying, "I'm just so excited!"



We don't get to see grandparents often. Maybe twice a year if we are lucky. It is one of my great sadnesses. (Stop crying mom!) But we're going, and I can't wait! I just wish we were leaving this Friday!


Oh, by the way, this one's excited to see his Papa!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy those moments with the grandparents. Like you, we don't get to see our parents/their grandparents often, either. My Mom will be here in just a week, and life will revolve around just loving and being with her. Isn't it wonderful that our children look forward to time with their grandparents? The last photo is such a treasure.

    ReplyDelete