"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Wednesday, March 24, 2010

~ Jesus Understands

I felt like I was interrupting a private conversation.
I didn't mean to.
She had asked for help with her computer.
I was just straightening her documents,
giving her files some structure so she could find things.
I would click, read a bit and determine the best place to file it away.

I was almost finished when it happened.
I could not tell by the document title where it should go,
so I opened it.
I began to read, amazed how the words flowed.
It was clear that this was no ordinary document.

These were grief words, from one too young to know such pain.

They were the opening up and the pouring out of a heart full of confusion and hurt.
They were words from a son to a father who had chosen, in one moment with one act, to stop being a dad, to stop living.
It was a one-sided conversation, full of questions - questions His dad will never be able to be answer.

Feeling like I was over-stepping my boundaries, I stopped reading and closed the document.
My mind went back to the day we had gotten the news.
I grieved for this young man all over again.

I remember calling my mom. I knew she would understand.
She was 13 when she lost her hero, her protector, her daddy.
Again, too young to have to navigate the waters of agony and grief.

I remember her exact words.

"You tell that young man that when he thinks no one else can understand what he is going through, Jesus understands."

She had experienced it, found it to be true.
She had talked to Jesus when there hadn't been anyone who could give her any answers or understand the depth of her grief.

Jesus understands.

As I think about her words again this week as I prepare for Easter, I am reminded of His suffering:

~ His agony in the garden
"My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death." (Mark 14:34)

~ the betrayal by those He loved
"Then everyone deserted Him and fled." (Mark 14:50)

~ the false accusations
"They all condemned Him as worthy of death." (Mark 14:64)

~ the mocking & humiliation
"And when they had mocked Him...they led Him out to crucify Him." (Mark 15:20)

~ the Father turning His face away
"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Mark 15:34)

~ The excruciating pain

from the fists,

the taunts,

the scourge,

the thorns,

the nails,

the spear.

If anyone understands, He does!

No matter what we face, no matter what this world throws at us,
we are never alone.
There is one who knows our hurt, our anger, our pain.

Jesus understands. Easter makes it clear!


holy experience
I'm preparing for Easter with Ann @ Holy Experience.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Glory! Yes...He does understand! When the mind can't comprehend, faith can still lead the way to a humble acceptance of His will. I'm so glad to know that He sees, He hears, He knows, and...yes, He understands!

    In His Love,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete