"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Perfect Day

Thanksgiving morning at our house (in my dreams):
I woke before the boys this morning so I made pumpkin maple pancakes for breakfast and the house smells wonderful. The house is clean because my boys and their dad, of course, cleaned all night last night while I celebrated my birthday with friends. (Doesn't every mom want the house clean to celebrate a holiday? It just makes the day go better.) I've already begun preparations for our dinner. The turkey is in the oven, the pies are cooling on the counter, and the fire is crackling in the fireplace. Friends will be arriving later to share our table, and we will laugh and share how God has blessed our lives. For now, Dad is playing games in the floor with the boys and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is on in the background. Later, when our guests are gone, we will have gingersnaps and pumpkin dip while we make our annual Texas Crunch (chex mix to you northerners), and I will start putting up a few of our Christmas decorations. We will end the day watching It's a Wonderful Life. It's going to be a great day!

Thanksgiving morning at our house (for real):
Everybody slept in this morning. I was out late with friends celebrating my birthday and Ken had three extra boys over last night, so the kids were up late and the house was chaos. (He did actually pick up the house so that it looked neat when I got home. Thank you honey!) We rolled out of bed just in time for Ken and Siah to get ready to go to the annual Turkey Bowl (football game) at church. As we waved goodbye, I put packaged muffins in the oven for the twins (They prefer that to pumpkin pancakes anyday.), and we all had some corn pops just to tide them over 'til the muffins were ready. (Ellis wakes up absolutely starving every morning. Tapeworm?) We are heading to some friends' house this afternoon, and they asked us to bring the turkey. The turkey is not in the oven yet. (I still need to go online and find out how long to cook it. ) I'm afraid to light a fire in the fireplace until we get it cleaned. I tried to share a moment watching the parade with the boys. They prefer Tom and Jerry. As for the Gingersnaps and Texas Crunch, I forgot to buy the butterscotch pudding for the dip and the nuts for the chex mix. And as far as decorating for Christmas, I'm just not there yet! Ken will come home from the football game and need Ibuprofen and a nap. (He usually hurts some body part every year.) We will probably fall asleep on the couch while the kids watch A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. It's not the day I dream about, but it will still be a great day. And in my heart, I will think about all the ways God has blessed my life and, all day, I will be thankful.

Thank you, Lord, for my family (for Ken's selflessness and love, for Siah's passion and tender heart, for Ellis' sense of humor and loving hugs, for Aidan's thoughtfulness and hunger for You, and for Bennett's simple trust and his sweet sweet smile) for life and breath, for a warm house and plenty of food, for laughter and togetherness and mostly for Your mercy
and grace in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment