"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Missed Moments

One of the reasons I'm a full-time mommy is because I always want to be there for my children's special moments, big and small, as well as their everyday moments. Last night, my 11-year old, Siah, scored his first two goals in soccer this season, and I missed it! I couldn't believe it. On the one night both my husband and I had to miss his game, he had his moment and neither of us saw it. Luckily, a dear friend of mine was there with him and could tell me about it.





This wasn't the first big moment of his little life that I've missed. A few years ago, Josiah wanted to be baptized at our church's annual picnic. First he was supposed to share his faith story at our outdoor service and then be baptized just before our picnic. Because I was the event coordinator for the dinner, I had stepped inside to check on the chef and her crew, and when I got back outside, I saw him step away from the microphone. I had missed his whole faith story. I immediately burst into tears. It felt like such a significant moment to miss!

And then, of course, there were the first four months of his life when he was in Korea before he came to us and all the moments we missed. Thankfully, since he was so small when he came, we still got to experience most of his firsts with him.



I know there will be other disappointments, other missed moments, but I am grateful for every victory we get to celebrate and every milestone we get to mark. Just yesterday, he was four months old and they were putting him in my arms for the first time. Today, he is on the verge of becoming a teenager, and tomorrow, he'll be gone. For now, I'm treasuring every moment!



Siah, I love all my moments with you!