"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Monday, July 20, 2009

Grace in Someone's Garage

Sometimes God's goodness comes in the form of a big fish. (I'm sure my husband would call it a beautiful fish. I choose to stick with big.) (See last post.) And sometimes God's grace comes in the form of something beautiful (at least to me).

Last week, I needed to get out of my house. There is always way too much testosterone and noise there, and sometimes I just need some mommy time. So I did what anyone with little money, a desperate desire to do something other than referee and feed people, and a need for some ispiration would do - I went to rummage through other people's junk.

The first place I stopped had a beautiful brass chandelier for sale. Now I love the thrill of a great bargain, but I have been asking God to help me be content with what I have. $25 just felt like too much to spend on something I didn't really need (even if my current light fixture could be sold in the bug catcher department). When I arrived at my second stop, I saw a large black plastic bag laying on the driveway. As I approached, I saw something that looked like brass sticking out. My first thought was ,"Lord, a girl can only handle so much temptation. I may need your help." Sure enough, it was a brass chandelier almost identical to the one I had just seen. As I reached to turn over the price tag, my heart began to flutter. Just as I saw the price was $10, the owner said to me, "Five bucks and it's yours." I almost sat down right there in her driveway to have a good laugh. However, I restrained the giddiness, and took that baby home, thanking God all the way.


Now, I'm not much of a brass fan, so here's what I did to it. First, I covered all the electrical parts.


Then I sprayed it with a good metal primer.


And here it is now, hanging in my bedroom with a beautiful new porcelain white finish and the ivory shades that came with it.


I love it, but it does light up the room like a runway, so I need to get 25 watt bulbs and have my hubby install a dimmer switch. Now I just need some curtains on those windows, but for now, blinds will do and I'm just going to savor this little gift from God.

"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Matthew 7:9-11