"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Saturday, July 11, 2009

In Daddy's Arms



I've had trouble sleeping lately. It's probably a combination of being over tired (Having a one year old at age 44 will do that to you.), finally having a quiet house (Who wants to sleep when they can finally accomplish something?), and worrying over things I can't change. Whatever the reason, not getting enough rest just complicates everything. You end up sleeping at the wrong time which makes the next night's sleep impossible, and if you're like me, your disposition is far from sunny. I usually end up being grumpy with the kids which makes them grumpy with each other which makes my husband grumpy with me. It's a vicious cycle.


Today, my little one was having a rough day. Lately, he's been getting a new tooth practically every day, and today, I'm pretty sure they were bothering him. He woke up after about 15 minutes at nap time. I knew that wouldn't do, but I thought I'd take him outside. He loves his daddy alot, and when dad decided to mow the yard, Bennett followed the tractor into the front yard and stood staring at Ken until he pulled over and pulled Bennett onto his lap. That's all it took. A while later while I was making lunch, I looked out the window to see Bennett sound asleep in his daddy's arms.


What a beautiful reminder that all who are weary can find rest in the Father's arms. All we have to do is bring our burdens (obsessions, longings, frustrations, fears, etc...) to Him.


"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28 (NIV)


Enjoy your rest!