"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Thursday, December 2, 2010

~ No Promise Can Compare


Yesterday, we started our countdown to Christmas, marking the days with small little mittens filled with treasures as we prepare for Christ's coming. This year, in addition to our traditional countdown, we began an advent devotional from one of my favorite writers, Ann over at Holy Experience. The passage for Dec. 1st took us right back to the beginning of the story of Jesus' coming - right there in the book of Genesis.

We have spent alot of time in the book of Genesis lately. Our history curriculum for the year covers the Old Testament and Egypt. Our Bible curriculum covers Genesis through Joshua. In our read aloud, we have been reading the Genesis commentary that I raved about
here. And my oldest son's Omnibus curriculum had him reading and studying the book of Genesis for the first month of school. As I opened the devotional for yesterday's reading, I wondered if I might hear their little voices moan with, "We've already done this."



But Ann has a way. As we read the verses about the Fall and Eve's decision to sin once again, we caught a glimpse of Christmas, right there in the words God uses to curse the serpent.

"And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."

Their little minds didn't catch it at first because, as Ann put it, it was only a whisper, a hint of what was to come.



Jesus!

Christmas!

Right there in the first book of the Bible.


As we discussed it, their little eyes sparkled with realization. Jesus is coming. It was God's plan from the very beginning. The Old Testament confirming the New Testament. Or perhaps it is actually the New Testament that confirms the Old.

At the end of the devotional, Ann's challenge was to sing a worship song or a Christmas carol to invite Christ to come be with us. My oldest immediately responded with, "Mom, I have Shout to the Lord on my Ipod." I told him that would be great. I knew we probably all knew that one.

He grabbed his Ipod and began to play the song. I was blown away that I was getting to worship with my children in school for the first time. (I'm quite sure that is their first experience with that!) As we got to the chorus, we sang louder. Then we sang the words that will give new meaning to Christmas for my boys this year -

"Nothing compares to the promise I have in You!"

God is amazing. He is weaving His story together for my boys. We've been preparing for Christmas for the last three months, and we didn't even know it. We've studied creation. We've studied the fall. We've studied the curse. And now, my boys understand even better the promise that God made from the very beginning. Jesus is coming. There's no promise that can compare to that!

And this year, we'll be ready!

Take a moment and enjoy our favorite new Christmas song; after all, it's all about Jesus.
Just press pause on the music player in the top right margin.


This is the Lincoln Brewster version my son had on his Ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment