"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Monday, December 6, 2010

~ I Need a Do-Over

Last night in Wisconsin (and perhaps other parts of the world), school children gathered their shoes (or boots or stockings depending on where you are from) to put outside their bedroom doors so that when St. Nick came, he would fill it with trinkets if they had been good this year.

If they weren't, tradition has it, they would receive a lump of coal.

I did not grow up with this tradition.

Oh, I grew up with stockings all right, but until my first child entered kindergarten and his teacher told him on Dec. 5th that St. Nick would be coming to his house that night (Thank you very much!), I had never heard of St. Nick's Eve.

This observance has its roots in the Catholic Church and in German tradition. And if Wisconsin is anything, it is Catholic and German in its roots.

I on the other hand, am Protestant and my people are from the hollers of Tennessee (not sure where beyond that).

Anyhow, I digress.

As I was saying, somehow without meaning to, St. Nick's Eve has become a part of our holiday tradition. That first year, I had to run out after my kindergartner had gone to bed so that he wouldn't be the only child left behind the next day.

As usual, last night I was caught off guard again. Luckily, I had done some Christmas shopping the day before and had some small toys in my trunk outside for each of them.

They scurried around looking for their boots before bed, putting them "just so" by their bedroom doors.

The big boys worried about the smallest one's boot. He was fast asleep, and they were afraid he would be left out. I told them not to worry.

I would handle it.

They said, "But his shoes are so little. Will there be enough room."

I assured them, "I'LL TAKE CARE OF IT!"

They all went to bed anxiously anticipating St. Nick's arrival and totally at peace that mom was taking care of everything. All was well until...

...St. Nick forgot to come to our house last night and they woke to empty boots this morning.

Let's just say it was not pretty. There were tears - theirs and mine.

I blame it on the kindergarten teacher. It's really all her fault. I'm just thankful we have this motto at our house.


I better get going. St. Nick's Eve is on Dec. 6th this year (at least at our house).

No comments:

Post a Comment