"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Wednesday, December 8, 2010

~ A Boy and His Books

I came into the living room this morning during those last minutes of darkness just before dawn. The soft glow of the Christmas lights revealed my nine-year-old snuggled in a blanket in the chair next to the Christmas tree.

I asked him where his brother was. They never, NEVER, travel alone!

He pointed behind his chair.

And that's when I spotted him, curled up behind the chair reading, the yellow glow of the tree spilling onto his pages.

I asked him what he was reading, and he held up a tiny little book ornamnent from the tree.

The boy will read anything.

Since we started homeschooling in September, he has read fourteen books, including the entire Little House series. (Right now he's reading two different books at the same time.)

Tonight when I put him to bed, he asked if he could keep reading, and I said no because it was pretty late. I told him if he woke up early tomorrow he could read in his bed. He informed me he would read seven chapters then.

He loves words just like his mama.

Don't get me wrong. When it comes to language, he confuses the terms proper, plural, and pronoun all the time. Half the time he's capitalizing when he's supposed to be 'changing the y to i and adding -es'. Or when asked to change the noun to a pronoun, he'll give you a proper form of the noun instead.

For the mom who loves writing and grammar and diagramming sentences, it makes my head want to explode.

But for the mom who loves books, it makes me proud. I love watching him finish one and immediately hunting for the next one. He's always excited to share the story with me. He's the kind of boy who would get in trouble with the teacher for reading when he's not supposed to be reading.

I guess it's a good thing his mama is his teacher.

Now if I could just get him to understand the difference between a pronoun and a proper noun!

No comments:

Post a Comment