"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Saturday, June 19, 2010

Kids Need Their Daddies

Daddy and me on the beach in Florida

I was just a young thing when this picture was taken. My family was on vacation in Florida. I only have one memory from this trip, at least I think it is a memory. I could just be reliving in my head what I've seen on the old, family vacation video footage or maybe I even dreamed it. Pretty sure it's an actual memory.

Someone gave me an empty Coppertone bottle. (I know it had to be Coppertone because when I think of summer and childhood, I have an old-factory deja vu.) I would stand behind my father at the edge of the ocean and fill my bottle full of water. Then, when he least expected it, although I'm sure he knew it was coming, I would squeeze the water on my daddy's balding head and pat it with my hand. He would laugh and act surprised, and I thought it was so much fun.

My dad's hair continued to disappear over the years (sorry dad), but he always had a little black comb. I would sit and comb his three strands (just kidding) with his little black comb while he played cards or worked on a puzzle. Not sure why I remember that, but it must be important.

My husband has a similar memory of his father. He would use his dad's little black comb to scratch his dad's back. Not sure why he remembers that, but he does. (Did everybody's dad carry a little black comb?)

Here's what I think.

I think I remember these silly memories because getting to pour water on your daddy's head and getting to use his little black comb meant he was there. He was there at the beach and every vacation after that. He was there at dinnertime and sporting events and talent shows and graduation. He was there for it all. As it should be.

(Thank you for being there, Dad - for still being there!)

Kids need their daddies.

Tonight, we celebrated Father's Day early. The kids piled on the couch with their presents ready to get their moment in the sun. The oldest spent his own money and bought something he knew dad would love. The twins brought their homemade presents they've been hiding since the last day of school. My youngest, he presented something in a bag. He had no idea what it was, but he beamed proud when dad opened his gift.

After the kids had scattered, my husband in his quiet whisper (he has laryngitis) said, "Know what I loved best? I love that my boys still love to crawl all over me!"

That's what kids need -

Dad's who will let you crawl all over them

or dump water on their heads

or use their little black combs.

Kids need their daddies to be there.

If your dad wasn't there, and Father's Day is a hard day for you, Psalm 68:5 says that God is
"a father to the fatherless"

and He is always there!

No comments:

Post a Comment