"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Monday, October 25, 2010

~ The Artist's Greatest Work

Yesterday, I had lunch with this Jewish man and two former skin heads.

He spoke of how he met his Messiah - Jesus.

He shared that his uncle was targeted for termination in Nazi Germany but escaped the country just in time.

Just a few seats away, the young couple sat with the remnants of their past hidden - the tattoos that spoke of hatred and superiority. I don't see the marks, but I know they are there.

I knew them when they still shaved their heads, got into fights and wore their boots like a badge of honor.

I knew them when they first met their Messiah - Jesus.

She summarized their story for him in just a few words.


"We used to be skin heads - really into the "Nazi" scene. Now we're preparing for ministry."

And just when the shock of the moment hit me (the Jew sitting with the Jew-hater), I saw it - pouring out from under his shirt sleeve down his arm, spilling onto his hand - the intricately detailed cross that now speaks of redemption and humility and love, perhaps one of the artist's most beautiful works.

The cross transformed their lives - all of them. It was the blood pouring down His arm spilling onto His hand, washing them clean. The Artist's most beautiful work.

The Jew who wanted to become a lawyer became a pastor instead.

The young boy and girl looking for a place to fit in and be accepted finally found their place and their acceptance in Him.

Yesterday, they sat together.

They ate together.

They encouraged one another.

And it's all because of grace, because the Artist is capable of making anything beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Karen, just so you know, I do read your blog when I can. I read, I enjoy, I remember and sometimes I cry. I see God's beauty and grace in your writing. Please don't ever stop.

    ReplyDelete