"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Sabbatical 2014: A Brief Trip Down Memory Lane & a Little Stopover

One of the things we wanted to do while on sabbatical was see some friends we haven't seen in a long time. 

So we invited ourselves to their house in Maryland. 

It was a short visit. We spent two days laughing, getting to know their kids (great kids), reminiscing, and doing a little sight seeing.

The first day, we drove into Baltimore to take the kids to the Inner Harbor. What a beautiful city! 


One of the first things you see when you arrive downtown are the tall ships.




It was very cool for my boys to see these since we had just studied the early days of America and the role these ships played in the founding of our country.


 
After seeing the tall ships, you are constantly reminded by the incredible aromas that there are tons of eating places along the water. We knew the first thing out of our boys' mouths would be, "I'm hungry." 

So my husband decided to make our kids work for their lunch.

We climbed a hill overlooking the city called Federal Hill.


The view was amazing!



My husband can't resist challenging the boys to feats of strength. So when we saw this canon overlooking the street below, one of the boys came up with a great idea!




Pretty cool, huh?

After climbing the hill, we decided to take a breather while the kids played in the park at the top.



It was really fun seeing all the cool things about this beautiful city.






If one were inclined to want to shop (I am always inclined to want to shop.), and if one did not have mostly boys around all the time (I always have mostly boys around.), one would find that the Inner Harbor is a fantastic place to do a little shopping. I, however, do not enjoy the process of flying through stores in a hurry so as not to frustrate the males in the group. I hate hearing, "Are you done yet?" I feel it takes away from the thrill of shopping. 


So this is the only photo I have of my shopping experience. Everyone had to buy their favorite candy, and by the end, I was begging, "Are we done yet?"


We were exhausted after a day of sight-seeing, so the next day, we decided to spend the day at my friend's mom's house. She lives on the Chesapeake Bay. Unfortunately, to get to her house, we had to cross the Chesapeake Bay 
Bridge. 


I almost hyperventilated. I literally had to close my eyes. It is over four miles long. They told me they have drivers who will drive you across if you just can't do it. I asked if they had riders who could ride for you if you just couldn't handle it!


I actually survived the ride and we ended up having an incredible day on the water!
(Thanks Mike, Ann and Grandma Jo!)






After too short a visit, we had to be on our way. We made a brief stopover in Connecticut. Another friend had arranged for us to stay with his mom for the night. We were there for less than 15 hours, just long enough to have dinner at her favorite restaurant, stick our feet in the ocean, and sleep in her basement. She was delightful, and by the morning, the kids were calling her Grandma Betty.
(Thanks Jim, Cindy, & Grandma Betty!)






Next stop: Cape Cod!

No comments:

Post a Comment