"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Sunday, July 25, 2010

~ Lost in Their World

I went along for the ride, just to enjoy some time with my family.

I'm not much of a fisherman. I don't do worms.

I had plans, though. Plans to lose myself in the pages of a good book. Instead, I got lost, all right, but I never made it past the first page in my book.

I got a bit engrossed in the sheer contentment they seemed to have just being near the water. (They take after their dad that way.)

I got a bit off course when I realized two years ago he wasn't even here...

...and now he acts like he's been fishing with us forever.

I found myself preoccupied with their squeals of delight and their eyes dancing with pleasure when they would reel in their prizes.

I was totally captivated by their little discoveries...

...their little gifts (and their little hands),

...and their insatiable curiosity.


On more than one occasion, I was distracted by this man (but that's a different story).
I found myself entranced by the way the light and the colors dazzled the water as the sun began its slow descent.




And when that first mosquito on my leg met an untimely daeth, I packed up my chair and decided it was time to go home. It had, however, been a lovely evening.

1 comment:

  1. These are such great pictures. :) Fishing really is an activity that teaches contentment and patience. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete