"... we are always harking back to some occasion which seemed to us to reach perfection, setting that up as a norm, and depreciating all other occasions by comparison. But these other occasions, I now suspect, are often full of their own new blessing, if only we would lay ourselves open to it. " (C. S. Lewis)



Monday, August 24, 2009

Patio Ponderings

I was sitting on my patio today being thoroughly thankful for the 78 degree breezy weather after spending two and 1/2 weeks in Tennessee's 95 degree humid weather. (How do you people survive down there?) Here are a few of the ways we stayed cool while we were there.

Swimming in Poppa and Grammy's pool

Playing in the Creek at Ron's house
Water temp - 54 degrees - REFRESHING!

Eating lots of Ice Pops

Water gun fights

Swimming at Tim's house


One of my favorite things to do at my mom's has always been to sit on her patio in the early morning in my p.j.'s (before it gets unbearably hot) and watch the beautiful blue birds that live in her yard. I love sitting on the patio. I started almost every day of my trip that way. A few years ago I got my very own patio and I love it. (I don't have beautiful blue birds, but my neighbor's yard is like a beautiful park.) Here are some shots of my favorite 'room".




After sitting for a while on my patio today and watching the boys play, I realized it was beginning to sound like a hail storm around me as our 150 year old oak tree began dropping acorns every few seconds. (It was quite breezy!) It reminded me that autumn is just around the corner. I'm so sad summer is almost over. The pool just closed yesterday, and the kids start school next week. I'll miss the scents of summer: freshly mown grass, suntan lotion, bug spray, grilled burgers, and the smell of a late night fire. I'll also miss some of the sights and sounds of summer: children laughing outside, splashing at the pool, ice cream truck that frequents our neighborhood, kids riding their bikes, flipflops all over my house, dinners on the patio, etc... I'm just glad we got to spend two weeks in Tennessee. It was a great way to end our summer break before heading back to school. I'm sad that my days enjoying the patio will be gone too soon (and then I won't even be able to find it as it will be buried under feet of snow), but I will cherish each last alfresco dinner, and I will grab as many moments of sunshine as I can and store them in my memory. Maybe I can pull them out in February and wear them like a warm coat.

Here are some of my favorite moments from this summer.


Goodbye summer. We'll miss you.